Commercial Building Permits

Commercial BuildingA commercial building permit is needed for the following improvements:

  • New building construction.
  • Tenant finish and remodel of existing space, which includes retail, business offices, warehouse and mezzanine areas, vestibules or exterior façade change.
  • Footing/foundation only.
  • Site grading/utilities.

Apply for a commercial building permit, by submitting the following information for review and approval:

  • Commercial building permit application (commercial/industrial form).
  • Phased permit submittal checklist (attach to application - Interior Tenant Finish or Remodel submit only pages 9 and 10).
  • New construction:
    • Two sets of plans which include all civil/site drawings, landscape plans, architectural drawings, mechanical, electrical and plumbing drawings. Sheets must be collated as a complete set. Include two specification books, two structural calculation books, two soil report books, and one set of all required drawings in electronic media (CD or flash drive). Acceptable file formats are .TIF or .PDF. The first file shall include an index referencing all sheets. All plans must contain the seal of a registered architect or engineer and only one set must have a wet-seal.
  • Tenant finish/remodel:
    • Two sets of plans (include all architectural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing details). Attach pages 9 & 10 of the Phased Permit Submittal Checklist and electronic media as described above. All necessary paperwork will be reviewed by staff at time of submittal for completeness and may be rejected if incomplete in order to meet our goal of a three-day turnaround on tenant finish projects.
  • Footing/foundation Only:
    • Submit Footing/Foundation Application, two sets of sealed site plans, erosion control plan, footing, foundation, elevations and any electrical, mechanical and plumbing underslab details, and two soils reports. A letter of risk will be required releasing the City of Olathe from any liability, in the event at building permit issuance, the foundation or underslab is found to not be in compliance.
  • Plan review Fee (Check payable to City of Olathe), based on square footage of your project.
  • Site grading/utilities: This permit obtained through the Public Works/Engineering Division at 913-971-9045. No processing through the Building Codes Division.

It is our goal to review and return comments for commercial and industrial permits within 10 working days (starting the first working day after submittal). This allows all reviewing departments an opportunity to review and submit comments to Building Codes. The reviewing departments include: Planning, Building Codes, Fire Department, Public Works and Municipal Services. Incomplete applications or incorrect information may delay plan review and permitting.

Contractor licensing

City ordinance requires the general contractor, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, roofing and framing contractors to be licensed with Johnson County. No permits are issued unless all contractors are licensed.Contractor licensing may be obtained through Johnson County Contractor Licensing.

Projects involving food handling and food preparation

Contact the State of Kansas Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Lodging program for projects involving food handling and food preparation. .