You and your car can be attacked by a carjacker in broad daylight, rush hour, while stopped at intersections or in traffic, and in the parking lot. Here are some tips to protect you and your car:
- Roll up your windows and lock your doors while driving. Don’t allow a crook to jump in the unlocked passenger door;
- If someone tries to open your car door, don’t waste time by asking questions. Drive away quickly but safely;
- Keep your purse, cell phone and other valuables out of sight to lessen the temptation for a theft;
- Don’t be trapped in a traffic lane. Leave at least one car length between you and the car in front to allow an escape route;
- Bump and rob scenarios are intentional traffic accidents. Exiting your car to examine damage can leave you open to a robbery. Trust your instincts. If you feel suspicious, stay in your locked vehicle or drive to a safe public place. Remain at the scene of a serious accident or if injured.